Thursday, July 9, 2015

Got a Research Idea - Sell It!

I sat in on a webinar by Morgan Giddings last week where she offered some different ways of thinking about grant development that I thought were valuable. One important point Giddings made was that most investigators are uncomfortable with the idea of "selling." This rang true; many faculty I encounter are slow to honk their own horn much less really sell their ideas.

Yet, as Giddings observed, many investigators have the wrong idea about what selling should be. Years ago, I found myself responsible for selling customized educational programs to universities and colleges. As the Director responsible for developing this new branch of programs for my organization, I was not excited about this task. I was not a salesperson after all. Yet, I was also responsible for conducting the needs assessments and designing the programs that we offered, so I knew them inside and out. Thus, when I found myself in a conversation with a Provost or VP, I could clearly describe what we were offering and answer the questions they had.

To get past my nerves around selling or even having conversations with top leaders in higher education, I reminded myself that I wasn't trying to trick an institution into bringing a customized workshop to their campus.  I just wanted them to understand what the workshops were, what their value was, and then for them to make the decision that was best for their institution. I knew that if any institution was cajoled into bringing a workshop, we might make a bit more money in the short-term, but it would cost us far more in reputation in the long run.

So, in applying my experience, along with that of Giddings and Daniel Pink, below I identify what good selling should and should not include.

Selling should not trick anyone
As you're writing a grant or a concept paper, your goal isn't necessarily to persuade an agency to give you money, but more so to give them a clear sense of your idea and the value or importance of that idea. If it's right for them, they will be persuaded without you having to persuade them.

Selling should focus on listening to the "buyer's" needs
Daniel Pink cites researcher, Adam Grant, saying the best sellers are "ambiverts." They are not too introverted to talk to folks about whatever they're selling, but they're also not too extroverted to listen to what the buyer is saying they need. In grant development, it's essential to know what an agency is looking to fund before you decide whether or not to submit or before you start talking with a Program Officer.

Selling should clearly articulate your value
When you have a great research idea or project, your goal should be to clearly communicate it to possible funders. As mentioned, you're not trying to trick anyone into funding you.  You're trying to help them understand your project, why it's important, and why it's a good fit for them.

Hopefully, as you start to rethink what selling can be, you can begin to be more intentional in selling your research idea.

Resources
Morgan Giddings Blog 
Daniel Pink on Selling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment; it will be posted shortly. - Naomi